Apart from going longer than I had anticipated, very little of any significance went wrong during my R session at UofT on friday! It took a while at the beginning for everyone to get set up. Everyone was connecting to my home RStudio server via UofT’s wireless network. This meant that if any students weren’t set up to use wireless in the first place (they get a username and password from the library, a UTORid) then they wouldn’t be able to connect period. For those students who were able to connect, I assigned each of them one of 30 usernames that I had laboriously set up on my machine the night before.
After connecting to my server, I then got them to click on the ‘data’ directory that I had set up in each of their home folders on my computer to load up the data that I prepared for them (see last post). I forgot that they needed to set the data directory as their working directory… woops, that wasted some time! After I realized that mistake, things went more smoothly.
We went over data import, data indexing (although I forgot about conditional indexing, which I use very often at work… d’oh!), merging, mathematical operations, some simple graphing (a histogram, scatterplot, and scatterplot matrix), summary stats, median splits, grouped summary stats using the awesome dplyr, and then nicer graphing using the qplot function from ggplot2.
I was really worried about being boring, but I found myself getting more and more energized as the session went on, and I think the students were interested as well! I’m so glad that the RStudio Server I set up on my computer was able to handle all of those connections at once and that my TekSavvy internet connection didn’t crap out either 🙂 This is definitely an experience that I would like to have again. Hurray!
Here’s a script of the analysis I went through:
Here’s the data: